4.6.19

18 Idioms with EYES and EARS in English with Example Sentences - video


EYE Idioms List:
Cry Your Eyes Out • Meaning: Cry hard for a very long time • Example: After my boyfriend broke up with me, I cried my eyes out.
Keep an Eye On • Meaning: To keep an eye on something or someone is to watch it periodically, to keep it under surveillance. • Example: I’m leaving my son with you for the day. Please keep an eye on him.
Keep an eye peeled • Meaning: Be observant; watch out for something • Example: If you go to the mall, keep an eye peeled for Anita-”she said she’s be there.
See Eye to Eye • Meaning: To concur, agree • Example: I don’t see eye to eye with Frances on the workflow, but she’s the boss.
See Something/somebody Out of the Corner of Your Eye • Meaning: Use peripheral vision • Example: How did you know I was here? You didn’t even look up! — I saw you out of the corner of my eye.
To be the apple of someone’s eye • Meaning: To be loved and treasured by someone • Example: You are the apple of my eye!
Turn a Blind Eye (to) • Meaning: Choose not to notice something • Example: My husband always supports me and is willing to turn a blind eye to my faults.
Wandering Eye • Meaning: A tendency to look at and desire women or men other than one’s committed romantic partner • Example: I know Sean has a wandering eye, but I’m sure he’s never cheated on me.
Black Eye • Meaning: A mark of shame • Example: By overcharging customers, you not only gave the company a black eye – you broke the law.
Blue Eyed Boy • Meaning: A person who is a favorite of those in authority; someone whose mistakes are forgiven. • Example: Steve is the supervisor’s blue-eyed boy. He doesn’t really do that much work, but it doesn’t seem to matter.
Baby Blues • Meaning: Blue eyes. • Example: I know Jason is bad for me, but when I get a look at his baby blues I can’t resist him.


EAR Idioms List:
All Ears • Meaning: Listening willingly, waiting for an explanation • Example: Why did you delete the file I was working on? I’m all ears.
Give Someone an Earful • Meaning: angrily express an opinion to someone • Example: Wow, my mom gave me an earful when I said I’d be home at 1 a.m. Guess I’ll be going home early!
I’m All Ears • Meaning: You have my attention, so you should talk • Example: I’d love to hear about your trip to Indonesia. I’m all ears!
Lend an Ear • Meaning: Listen • Example: Lend an ear, and I’ll tell you what people said at the meeting yesterday.
Play It by Ear • Meaning: To respond to circumstances instead of having a fixed plan • Example: I don’t know whether tickets will be available, but I think we should go to the airport and play it by ear.
That’s Music to My Ears • Meaning: I am very happy to hear this. • Example: When the boss said I’d be getting a raise next year, that was music to my ears!
The Walls Have Ears • Meaning: We may be overheard; be careful what you say • Example: Try to speak quietly—the walls have ears around here.
Wet Behind the Ears • Meaning: Inexperienced, immature, new to something • Example: Shawna is smart, but she’s still wet behind the ears as a programmer. She’ll need time to master the system.