English is FUNtastic
domingo, 8 de março de 2015
Idioms About the Body with Examples and Explanations
1. All ears
- awaiting an explanation, listening eagerly and carefully
- Tell me how you managed to pass the exam, I’m
- She was
to find out where her husband had been the night before.
2. Cold shoulder
(give sb the cold shoulder, get the cold shoulder) - paying no attention to something, a deliberate act of disrespect, an attitude of rejection
- I hoped she would come to the cinema with me, but I just got the
- The manager has given the
to our proposal to buy a new company car.
3. Itchy feet
- a strong impulse to travel, restlessness, desire to leave
- Seeing a boat always gives me
- No wonder she’s got
. She’s been working in the same office with the same people for more than twelve years.
4. Long arm of the law
- the far-reaching power of the authorities; the police, the law
- Stop this dirty business, the
long arm of the law
will reach you some day.
- He tried to live on shoplifting, but
long arm of the law
caught him in a week.
5. Old hand
- a person with a lot of experience in something
- Our boss is an
in the car business, you can’t cheat him with this broken engine.
- The new chef was an
at making Italian dishes.
6. Sweet tooth
- a great liking for sweet-tasting food, a weakness for sweets; someone with a liking for sweets
- She has a
, but as she’s rather fat, she must resist eating chocolate too often.
- I’m a
, I couldn’t help eating all the remains of my birthday cake after the party.
7. Elbow room
- enough space to move or work in; freedom to do what you like
- There’s so little
in our office that you must stand up from your desk if somebody wants to go out.
- The agents were given as much
as they needed to increase the sales.
- tending to attract attention, visually attractive, striking
- There were lots of
posters at the entrance of the cinema.
- Her dress was so
that we couldn’t do anything but stare at her for minutes.
Enviar a mensagem por email
Dê a sua opinião!
Partilhar no Twitter
Partilhar no Facebook
Partilhar no Pinterest
Mensagem mais recente