6.5.14

Idioms About Weather with Examples and Explanations

8 Weather Idioms and Phrases with Examples [Image]



weather idioms

1. raining cats and dogs - pouring, raining very heavily
- Where are you going, can’t you see it’s raining cats and dogs? You’ll get soaked in a minute if you go out now.
- They didn’t go to the theme park because it was raining cats and dogs almost all day.
2. face like thunder - being clearly very angry or upset
- I don’t know what was happening, I just saw that a man with a face like thunder was chasing a little boy out of the grocer’s shop.
- She didn’t say anything but her face was like thunder; she slammed the door as she left, and we haven’t seen her ever since.
3. storm in a teacup - exaggerating a problem, anger or worry about something unimportant
- Their debate was only a storm in a teacup – actually neither of them took the problem too serious.
- The reports about the demonstration are a storm in a teacup – there wasn’t as much violence there as they say.
4. chase rainbows - waste time trying to achieve something impossible
- My wife never believed I would make it as an executive manager; she always thought I was just chasing rainbows.
- Can’t you see you’re only chasing rainbows? There’s no way to get this girl marry you.
5. lightning fast - extremely fast
- I don’t think we can keep up with him, he’s got a lightning fast bike.
- The robbery lasted only a minute, and then the robbers disappeared in a lightning fast car.
6. head in the clouds- having unrealistic or impractical ideas, daydreaming
- Is your sister in love? I see her walking around all day with her head in the clouds.
- You have your head in the clouds if you think Mary will come to your birthday party after the nasty things you’ve done to her.
7. snowed under - having too much to do
- I’d love to help you, but I’m completely snowed under at the moment.
- Could you come over and fix the tap in the bathroom? But of course, only if you aren’t snowed under, it’s not so urgent.
8. under the weather - ill, sick, feeling unwell, sad or lacking energy
- Do you mind if I stay out of work today? I’m feeling under the weather, I may have the flu.
- I heard you were ill yesterday. Are you feeling better now or are you still under the weather?