31.7.12

Olympic pin craze grips London

In line with Olympic tradition, pin enthusiasts from across the world gather at London 2012 to trade and collect pins. Tara Cleary reports.

REPORTER: While athletes compete in the world's most diverse sporting event, traders from around the globe gather to swap Olympic pins, past and present. For some collectors, like Doug Kaplan, it's a passion. 
DOUG KAPLAN, PIN COLLECTOR: "I have towels, like beach towels from each Olympics with the logo on them and then I fill it up with my pins from that games and other games, so all my walls at home are covered with these beach blankets full of pins. My friends think I'm crazy." 
REPORTER: While others are pin-novices. 
JENNIFER, NEW PIN COLLECTOR: "Well I actually started today, so I would not consider myself a pin collector but it's really fun so far. It's really neat to find pins from other Olympics." 
REPORTER: Trading doesn't involve the exchange of money and collectors pin their hopes on owning the most sought-after badges. Tara Cleary, Reuters.